The School Counseling staff is comprised of two licensed school counselors and a professional psychologist. Mrs. Hopkins works with 9th and 10th graders and Mr. McMillin works with 11th and 12th graders while Dr. Polderman concentrates on students who may need more support. Mrs. Alflen is our Counseling Administrator and is a wonderful resource.
In line with the mission statement of the school, the Counseling Department seeks to prepare young men from diverse cultural and religious experiences for college and life. This is done in a variety of ways:
- We furnish information on careers, colleges and entrance requirements.
- We administer a testing program to help the student realistically assess his abilities and interests.
- We help students make the most effective adjustment to school.
- We make sure the students plan their courses so that they graduate in a timely fashion.
- We see each student at least once each year on an individual basis and encourage them to make an appointment to see a counselor whenever they feel the need.
- We offer information nights on college, financial aid planning, and other pertinent issues.
- We provide information on summer school, make-up work, and tutoring.
- We administer the Ohio Graduation Test and the new State Assessments.
- We are a testing site for the ACT and SAT.
- We provide students the opportunity to confidentially discuss personal questions with a counselor or psychologist.
- We provide information about NCAA Participation for Student-Athletes.
The Counseling Department is fortunate to have Naviance — a web based program used for everything from registering for classes to applying to colleges. It is a great resource for career and personality inventories. Please make sure you have your username and logon info. Parents and students each have their own account. If you need your information please email Mrs. Hopkins or Mr. McMillin.
Testing Schedule 2016-2017
PSAT – October 19 All Sophomores and Juniors
OGTs – October 24-26 makeups
Terra Nova – November 15-17 Sophomores and Juniors
OGTs Makeups – March 13-15
Ohio State Test (additional for juniors) – January 10-12
Ohio State Tests
English 1 March 22
Algebra 1 April 4
Biology (Honors class) April 11
English 2 March 22
Algebra 1 April 4
Geometry (Honors Class) April 4
Biology April 11
US Government May 2
Geometry April 4
US History May 2
ACT May 3
Some additional information:
We are excited to have all of the transcript requests online, but we will still need paper copies of transcript release forms on file before we can release any information to colleges.
As a reminder, there are scholarships available for every student, you just need to find them and apply for them. Please check the Naviance website for scholarship opportunity. We continually update them.
Resource websites for the OGT and End of Year Assessments:
- Ohio Graduation Test Information
- Ohio Graduation Test Resource and Practice
- Practice for Online Testing
NCAA Eligibility – all students and parents of athletes should view this video!
Director of School Counseling
216-421-2080 ext 333
Keith McMillin M.Ed
216-421-2080 ext 337
Dr. Ron Polderman
216-421-2080 ext 301
Mrs. Fran Alflen
Counseling Administrative Asst.
216-421-2080 ext 334